Written by Patty Spykstra
Tuesday, May 26 marks our 60th day of lockdown here in Cape Town, South Africa. To date we have 22,583 confirmed cases and 429 who have lost their lives to COVID-19. We have moved from Level 5 to 4 and perhaps Level 3 in June.
Jeremiah 10:23 says, “I know, O Lord, that a man’s life is not his own, it is not for man to direct his steps.”
Although things have not exactly gone how we planned. We have SO MUCH to be thankful for. Tim and I had expected the first 5 months to be so busy we couldn’t’ even catch our breath, but as things around the world changed the plans we had set in place also changed.
10 Things I never considered when Tim asked me go to South Africa…….
- That so many friends and family would fly out to visit and be apart of the Dedication of Oceans Retreat Center!
- That Tim’s office would in the exact room where our daughter Sarah lived when she studied abroad with Azusa Pacific University in 2013. (Sarah can’t wait to come back!)
- That the retreat center would be so booked that no rooms were available for our daughter Anna & her husband and then the airlines shut down all the rooms were available. (Anna & Hunter promise to rebook and come visit us! )
- That COVID-19 would be a global Pandemic and change the course of ALL of our lives!
- That I’d be cutting Tim’s hair and he would let me, as no barbershops are open! (Timothy I did my best.)
- That curtains are non-essential but material is for sale! So thankful ORC’s first volunteer, Michele left her sewing machine and that Thobeka knows how to sew!! Come see the changes! We may have floral masks for sale?
- That churches and schools would be closed and so many jobs lost. Thankful Oceans can help out by delivering groceries to the people living in the townships of OceanView and Masiphumelele.
- That my dad, Ray, would be getting married to Dianne, a wonderful lady with a heart for Africa, and who stayed at ORC when it was Wellwood Lodge.
- That January through May would be so sunny with wonderful weather and that we have plenty of projects to stretch us and keep us busy! Haven’t been bored yet!
- That WhatsApp and technology would be such a blessing to stay in touch with so many of you! Appreciate your prayers and concern during this time!!
I do love lists! And this particular list is a reminder that His LIST is full of wonderful unexpected blessings and surprises! “Yielding to God’s plan is the best path to follow. Tim and I have no idea what tomorrow, this week or next month will bring. I challenge you to do write your own list of blessings that came out of COVID-19 and praise God for HIS sovereign plan!